“Therefore go and make disciple of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” –Matthew 28:18
FUMC has a strong belief that it is very important to do for others. We help many people locally and also in other countries. In addition to contributing through the MS Annual Conference, we also help others in many other ways. Local missions include: the Food Pantry, Sally Kate Winters Memorial Children’s Home, the Clay County Clergy, the Good Samaritan Fund, Backpack Meals and Christ @ Home Meal ministry, helping our members in need and helping those in need on a case by case basis.
For years our church has also gone beyond the local barriers on mission trips to Mexico, Russia and Honduras. These trips are always very rewarding to those who go each year.
Recent Mission Projects
- Rise Against Hunger (formerly Stop Hunger Now) Packaging Event - volunteers packaged 10,000 meals in 2 hours. This is an annual project done each January.
- Haiti Mission trip - December 2018 - 14 members traveled to Haiti to work with a church and orphanage. We hope this will continue as a trip each year.
- Heifer International - raised over $5,000 in 2016 for our Lenten project.
- Imagine No Malaria - raised over $5,000 in 2017 for our Lenten project.
- Beautiful Feet Mission trip - February 2019 - 14 members traveled to Ft. Worth to Beautiful Feet to work with the homeless.
- Bags and Tags - backpacks, bags, suitcases, satchels and pouches were collected for those in need in our community. Special tags were placed on each bag made by our children and blessed at the Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper on 2/28/2017.
- Imagine No Malaria - Lenten project for 2017. Sunday school classes raised over $5000 in 2017.
- Backpack Meals - meals are packaged each month and delivered to Church Hill & South Side Elementary Schools for children who are in need of food.
- Operation Christmas Child - volunteers packed over 100 boxes at the packing party. The boxes will be blessed at our Thanksgiving Family Night Supper.
- Christ @ Home Meal ministry - meals are prepared and delivered once a month to 50+ local residents along with our church homebound.
- Adopt-a-Family - we adopts 17 families each Christmas and provides food, gifts and toys to those in need. This annual project has been going on for over 20 years.